Sunday, March 15, 2015

UFC 185: Kountermove and Roy Nelson

Last night was a night of mixed joys for me. I'm going to rip it off like a band-aid and spill the bad news first.

Roy Nelson lost.

If you're new here, you might not know how this affects me emotionally. You might not know that I watch his fights peeking through my fingers the way a small child may watch a scary movie. You don't know that I hide behind my hooded sweatshirt, scream curse words at any of Roy's opponents, curl into the fetal position if ever he starts to lose, or that I complain about it for three weeks afterward when he doesn't win.

But I do. So, there's that.

At least this time, the proverbial cloud did have a silver lining. What, you ask, could possibly shine light on a subject as grievous as my most precious, beautiful Big Country losing?  Well, I won $40.



Plus, there's a picture of Natasha Wicks. Sweet.

Last night, I was in a Renato Laranja Kountermove tournament, paid $2 to enter, came in 10th, and made some cash. You have a fantasy salary of $25,000 and you pick five fighters that you think will cause the most destruction, and of course, win. You score points based on submission attempts, takedowns, rounds won, KO/Sub finishes, etc. IF (and notice the capital letters) IF I had bet against Roy (which I would never do in a thousand lifetimes even if he's a hundred and thirty seven and fights with leg braces and a Link shield and has a seeing eye dog to guide him to his corner between rounds), then I'd have done even better but I have no regrets in betting on my one true hero, Roy Nelson.

Because how could I?


So pretty awesome, right? You can check out my Kountermove games here and play against me next time. There are free games to enter for most events, but drop a few bucks in and the payback will be much higher. It's fun to beat people! Good luck (unless you're betting against Roy).