Saturday, July 5, 2014

My Picks for UFC 175




My picks for UFC 175 are, as always, pretty controversial. I know many people think both Rousey and Weidman are unstoppable. I'm a fan of both Machida and Weidman and will be happy with a win from either one. I do like Davis though and wouldn't mind seeing her win an upset over Rousey but I don't think it's going to happen tonight - how could I? Rousey has proven dominate over all other competitors. Davis is a tough match and a new women's champ would be a nice shakeup for the division, but I don't think it's going to happen as of tonight. My favorites of the night are Mitrione, Faber, and Casey.


UPDATES:
  • My first two picks were correct and I'm thrilled to see Casey with the first round victory. Woohoo!!
  • Rob Font just stopped Roop in the first round. Great debut for him!
  • Mitrione/Struve is cancelled due to doctor's orders after Struve passes out before the fight. Although I'm very disappointed because I'm a Meathead fan, I understand and am glad they stopped it before any major damage can be done to Struve. I'm wishing him the best and hope he recovers quickly and thoroughly. I do wonder if this will affect him ever returning to the UFC again. Although it's good to be compassionate, the UFC is still a business and still has to think of money lost when a fight is cancelled like that, especially when done so with no time to bring in an alternate opponent.
  • Faber!!! Yes!! He's one of my favorite fighters and an all around great guy. So happy to see him with the win.
  • Ronda = Beast. That is all
  • Weidman/Machida - are there words?? As usual, it took Lyoto a while to warm up and quit backing away from Weidman's advances, after the fight heated up it proved to be very entertaining. I'm happy for Weidman's title defense and happy for the heart Machida showed in the last several minutes. It's by far one of the quickest 5 round fights I've watched and even though it went to a decision, it was exciting the whole time.